The ISO Navigator™ database hyperlinks the ISO 9000:2005 principles and the ISO 9001:2008 requirements; and explains them in plain English with practical guidance.
This guidance has been superseded by ISO 9001:2015 Clause 10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action. If you want to see a comparison matrix that correlates the requirements of ISO 9001:2008 to the revised requirements of ISO 9001:2015, please click here to begin comparing.
Our range of ISO 9001:2015 quality manuals and integrated manual templates cover the requirements of ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018, and offer an easy way to implement and document your organization's quality management system or integrated management system.
ISO 9001:2008: Corrective action 8.5.2 (superseded)
A corrective action should be considered as a reactive response to a problem since it is taken when a non-conformance is detected or upon receipt of a customer complaint or other event.
Your organization should first contain the problem and then determine its root cause in order to take appropriate corrective action to prevent the problem’s recurrence. Develop a procedure to control corrective actions in order to correct non-conformities by:
- Recording corrective actions
- Performing an initial review
- Determining causes
- Determining the need to take action
- Implementing action where required
- Preventing recurrence
- Evaluating effectiveness
- Recording the results using the forms provided
- Examining the effectiveness of corrective actions
In response to a symptom, evaluate the need for initiating the problem solving process. If necessary, provide an emergency response action to protect the customer and initiate the process. Application criteria:
- The symptoms has been defined and quantified
- The customers who experienced the problem or symptom are identified
- Measurements taken to quantify the problem or symptom
- Performance gap
- The cause is unknown
- Symptom complexity exceeds the ability of one person to resolve
Establish an investigation team with:
- Process and/or product knowledge
- Allocated time
- Authority to solve the problem and implement corrective actions
- Skill in the required technical disciplines
- A designated Team Leader
Your corrective action procedure must explain how you:
- Review non-conformance and customer complaints
- Decide the cause of the problem
- Decide an appropriate course of action to stop the problem recurring
- Put the plan into action
- Ensure that the action has solved the problem
Looking for ISO 9001 mandatory procedure templates? Our quality manual template provides a great foundation for establishing, implementing and documenting the six mandatory procedures that are required by the standard.
Want to know more?
- Read our customer's feedback
- Client list - who's using our templates?
- How the templates are formatted and download examples
- Why we use turtle diagrams and process maps
- What's the difference between a process and a procedure?
- About documented information
A certificate guarantees the information your internet browser is receiving now originates from the expected domain - https://www.iso9001help.co.uk. It guarantees that when you make a purchase, sensitive data is encrypted and sent to the right place, and not to a malicious third-party.
Free PDCA guidance
ISO Navigator™ is our FREE online training tool that shows you how to apply the principles of PDCA to your operations. We also offer many helpful templates that get you on the road to documenting your management system, please visit the download page.