Management system guidance
9.1 Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis and Evaluation
ISO Navigator Pro™ is a free tool that provides practical, expert guidance for businesses wishing to interpret and better implement the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018.
Our range of templates cover the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018, and offer an easy way to implement your next management system.
9.1.1 Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation - general
You should note the additional requirement for your organization to evidence the evaluation of the results of monitoring and measurement, not just their analysis and confirm that your organization has considered what, how and when to measure and that the outcomes from decisions result are ensuring appropriate process control.
Also note a new requirement to monitor the performance and effectiveness of your organization’s quality management system. You should expect to see that your organization has developed a process (method, techniques, format, etc.) to identify, collect and analyze various data and information from both internal and external sources, including:
- Monitoring and measuring results;
- Process performance results;
- Meeting objectives;
- Internal audit findings;
- Customer surveys and feedback;
- 2nd or 3rd party audit results;
- Competitor and benchmarking information;
- Product test results;
- Supplier performance information.
This ‘input’ (information and data) should reflect upon the adequacy, suitability and effectiveness of the quality management system and its processes. The ‘output’ (result of the analysis) must provide information (understanding, insight, awareness, confidence, knowledge of, etc.). The analysis output must provide insight to:
- Customer satisfaction and perception;
- Product conformance;
- Process performance;
- Product and process characteristics;
- Trends in products and processes;
- Opportunities for preventive action;
- Suppliers and subcontractors.
Other potential or useful options might include:
- Need for corrective action;
- Opportunity for improvement;
It is important to document and retain as evidence the results of the evaluation of the performance of the quality management system. The quality objectives and the related KPIs established under Clause 6.2 provides useful input into addressing this clause.
Monitoring and measuring QMS operations and activities will establish a mechanism to ensure that your organization is meeting its policies, objectives and targets. In order to meet this requirement, your organization must perform six steps:
- Identify the activities that can have a significant impacts and risks;
- Determine key characteristics of the activity to be monitored;
- Select the best way to measure the key characteristics;
- Record data on performance, controls and conformance with objectives and targets;
- Determine the frequency with which to measure the key characteristics;
- Establish management review and reporting.
Establish the monitoring and tracking criteria for each activity that has a significant impact or risk and review the action plan. You should incorporate any monitoring and measurement information to cover these same activities. If you need a procedure and forms to help control your business's testing and inspection process, click here.
More information on PDCA
Want to know more?
- Read our customer's feedback
- Client list - who's using our templates?
- How the templates are formatted and download examples
- Why we use turtle diagrams and process maps
- What's the difference between a process and a procedure?
- About documented information
A certificate guarantees the information your internet browser is receiving now originates from the expected domain - https://www.iso9001help.co.uk. It guarantees that when you make a purchase, sensitive data is encrypted and sent to the right place, and not to a malicious third-party.
Free PDCA guidance
ISO Navigator™ is our FREE online training tool that shows you how to apply the principles of PDCA to your operations. We also offer many helpful templates that get you on the road to documenting your management system, please visit the download page.