Management system guidance
8.5 Product and service provision
ISO Navigator Pro™ is a free tool that provides practical, expert guidance for businesses wishing to interpret and better implement the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018.
Our range of templates cover the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018, and offer an easy way to implement your next management system.
8.5.6 Control of changes
This is a new requirement for the organization to implement a process for responding to unplanned changes that are considered essential in order to ensure that products or services continue to meet their specified requirements, in such a way that conformity with requirements is maintained.
Changes should be documented and information retained about the changes, including who authorized the change and the actions arising from the change. In the olden days of ISO 9001:2008 this would have been addressed by Clause 7.3.7 Design and Development Outputs.
ISO 9000:2015 Term 3.3.10 defines change control as ‘activities for the control of the output after formal approval of its product configuration information’. The clause requires an organization to make changes in a thoughtful manner and to consider the potential impact to other process, products and possibly the customer. Key items to consider are:
- Is the impact of the change evaluated to determine its affects to work in process or products already delivered?
- What process control documentation (procedures, travellers, forms, etc.) will need updating as the result of change to be implemented?
- Was the change approved prior to implementation including, where applicable, approval by the customer, statutory or regulatory authority?
- Does retained documented information indicate the source of change and information on necessary actions and approvals?
You should seek objective evidence that your organization has implemented a process to control unplanned changes in accordance with the requirements set out above. If you need a procedure and forms to help control your business's product and service provision process, click here.
More information on PDCA
Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation
Want to know more?
- Read our customer's feedback
- Client list - who's using our templates?
- How the templates are formatted and download examples
- Why we use turtle diagrams and process maps
- What's the difference between a process and a procedure?
- About documented information
A certificate guarantees the information your internet browser is receiving now originates from the expected domain - https://www.iso9001help.co.uk. It guarantees that when you make a purchase, sensitive data is encrypted and sent to the right place, and not to a malicious third-party.
Free PDCA guidance
ISO Navigator™ is our FREE online training tool that shows you how to apply the principles of PDCA to your operations. We also offer many helpful templates that get you on the road to documenting your management system, please visit the download page.