The ISO Navigator™ database hyperlinks the ISO 9000 principles and the ISO 9001 requirements; and explains them in plain English with practical guidance.
ISO 9001: Preventive action 8.5.3
Preventive action should be considered as a proactive undertaking. For example, if we anticipate a potential problem and take action to eliminate the causes and prevent the occurrence of that problem, this is considered to be preventive action.
Develop a procedure to control preventive actions in order to prevent potential non-conformities from occurring by:
- Reporting potential non-conformities using the forms provided
- Investigating the causes
- Determining their potential effects
- Determining whether action is necessary
- Developing and implementing suitable responses to eliminate the causes
- Recording the results of preventive actions
- Verifying and documenting the effectiveness of preventive actions
Looking for ISO 9001 mandatory procedure templates? Our quality manual template provides a great foundation for establishing, implementing and documenting the six mandatory procedures that are required by the standard.